Service Objects New BIN Validation Operation Helps Retailers Fight Fraud
Subscribe to our blog
Here at Service Objects, we strive to improve our services to best meet our customers’ needs. Sometimes that means adding additional features and upgrades, tweaking an existing service and/or operation, leveraging new datasets, or adding an entirely new service. We take pride on being able to quickly and effectively respond to our customers’ feedback and requests.
Part of this response to client feedback has led us to develop a new operation upgrade for our DOTS BIN Validation service. It is called ValidateBIN_V2. This new feature represents the latest and greatest that our BIN Validation service has to offer.
DOTS BIN Validation service is used to help determine if a certain BIN (the first 6 digits of a credit card number) is valid or not — a crucial step in fighting fraud. BIN validation also helps merchants determine if a credit card number is for a debit card, credit card, gift card, or prepaid card. Likewise, the BIN number will identify the country of origin for the card, providing you with insight as to the validity of the transaction.
This new BIN operation upgrade builds on the previous operation, providing even further information about a BIN.
By design, and to ensure that we’re giving our customers quality information, the V1 BIN operation returns information about a BIN only if bank information can be found about it.
The ValidateBIN_V2 operation provides the same information as the V1 operation, but also functions slightly differently and provides additional information:
- Instead of failing a BIN or providing an error response, ValidateBIN_V2 displays any information about a BIN that we can find.
- The V2 operation upgrade will return a “Status” field indicating “OK” for BINs we were able to find or “Not Found” for BINs that we weren’t able to find or that don’t exist.
- The V2 operation will return the same card type, sub type, bank, and country information that the old operation returned.
We’ve also added a few new fields to the new BIN operation that make it more helpful to the end user:
- Warnings — This field returns warning codes and accompanying descriptions about those warnings. The current service will only return warnings if the bank information, card type or country information is missing for a BIN.
- Notes— This field contains additional information. Based on the way we have set these fields up in our API, we can easily add new warnings and notes as we continue to improve our services. These fields allow us to return useful information about a BIN without affecting the current output structure of the API.
- Information Components — This field is set up in a way that allows us to future proof the ValidateBIN_V2 operation. If we need to add new fields, the Information Components field allows us to easily do so without altering the existing structure of the API.
If you are interested in testing our BIN Validation API, sign up for a free trial key today!